No Houdini’s Here
Halloween brings a spell of fun and visitors to your home. Know that repeatedly opening doors for trick-or-treaters can increase the chances of your pet running out. If your pet likes to run out or is not friendly to other people, consider crating or keeping them in a secure area to ensure their safety. As always, make sure your pet is wearing proper identification and/or is microchipped in case he or she does escape. If you decide to take your pet with you on your trick or treating adventure, please consider adding reflective clothing or other items to your pet to increase visibility when dark.
Exploring the Decor
Fall brings Jack-o-lanterns, carved pumpkins, and more but remember pets are naturally curious and may be attracted to sounds, lights and flames. Dogs and cats could easily get burned on candles or knock them over and cause a fire.
Tricks, But No Treats
Save the candy for the kiddos! Chocolate can cause vomiting, diarrhea, hyperactivity, abnormal heart rhythm, seizures, and in severe cases chocolate poisoning can be fatal. Xylitol (artificial sweetener) in candy, gum and mints is toxic to your pet. If you suspect your pet snatched a treat, please call Perrinville Animal Hospital in Edmonds, WA at (425) 775-4992 or the ASPCA poison control center at (888) 426-4435.
Although we love seeing a pawsitively cute pup dressed as a pumpkin there are some pets that become extremely stressed or anxious when being forced to wear a costume. We do not recommend putting your pet in a costume unless you know they love it. If they want to flaunt that ghost or ladybug outfit around the neighborhood, make sure it does not restrict their movement, vision, or ability to breathe. If your pet shows any signs of discomfort or distress, please remove their costume immediately.